Friday, January 25, 2013

2 Aprons For The Day

You know how in junior high you had to take Home Ec? Ya you know...the place where you had to learn to sew, iron, etc? And how it was drilled into your head about how a sewing machine works and how to thread it and wind a bobbin? Ya well all that went out the window or so I thought.

I got out my mother's new sewing machine we bought in the past year that hasn't seen much use since it's purchase. Brushed off the the dust got out my fabric....and started searching for patterns and tutorials and such...came across 2 adorable aprons.

The first one is a full apron for a child. I found it on the StartDust Shoes Blog.
Here is the PDF Tutorial from that blog you can follow.

Now I don't have the greatest sewing abilities as stated before...but I am learning...I wouldn't be jumping to look over my seams and for they look awful sure....it's durable and will hold together...but it's not the prettiest thing in the world. Now the kids at the Day Care I work at loved it! I plan to make another at some point here this weekend now that I kinda know what I am doing.

Here is how I did! The Front side has a pocket...got smaller as I went along....Back side is just the same fabric as the front pocket. The neck piece ended up being a bit too big for the kiddos at the day care...and had to put a small rubber band around it to shorten it up...going to get a wooden bead to use as a slip tie thing for it. Note that the kids wearing it were under the age of 4 so this is a good size for a school ager...just not for a toddler. Notice the lack of a close up on the seams... :)

        


The second apron is a half apron for a child. I found a tutorial the other day while doing some random pinterest and google searching. Came across the web page belonging to Raechel Myers there you will find many tutorials and other awesome goodies. That's where I found this awesome tutorial

It came out a bit smaller than planned but I had a really bad seam and had to rip it out with a handy seam ripper and in the process I kinda ruined my fabric and had to take off about an inch or so...and other issues... Did I mention my awesome awesome awesome skills on the handy sewing machine? Cause if I haven't they are oh so Awesome! lol :)

Here is how it turn out!


Enjoy! Happy Sewing and Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment